Fallen Hero A1C Noah A. Radde, United States Air Force

A1C Noah A. Radde

December 7, 1980 - March 25, 2006
United States Air Force

Noah Radde grew up in the Minnesota community of Norwood Young America. When this portrait was given to his family I asked his mother Jan Radde if she would like to write Noah’s bio. Here are the words of a loving mom who lost her 25 year old son:

“Noah always loved adventure! He was very active in Boy Scouts of America, attending Sea Base in the Florida Keys and Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico on his way to earning Eagle Scout. He was a gifted and avid cross country runner! He made it to State for Central H.S. in Norwood MN in his Sophomore and Junior years. He also ran at Allen County Community College in Iola Kansas.

“Noah had hoped to join the Air Force directly out of high school but at my urging, attended junior college first. His intent never changed so at the age of 23 Noah and his dad visited the recruiters without telling Mom! Noah was inducted on April 5, 2005 at the age of 24. He graduated from Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas as A1C Noah A Radde due to his having earned Eagle Scout Rank and college credits. He then graduated from Security Forces training at Lackland. From there he served with the 100th Security Forces Squadron at RAF Mildenhall in England.

“Noah loved to cook! He cooked many a meal with the ‘Noah’ touch for family and friends and carried this through to his Squadron at RAF Mildenhall. He called himself ‘snackmaster’!

“In January 2006 he returned to Lackland AF Base in Texas for surgery at Wilford Hall Medical Center on January 9, and a repeat of that surgery on March 9, 2006. I was so blessed to be with him both times, and to spend time with him during his recovery as well. On March 18, 2006 I returned home. On March 25, 2006 came the dreaded ‘knock on the door’. Noah's lifeless body had been found in his quarters at Lackland. The cause of his death was determined as peritonitis (an internal infection) and malnourishment. Noah came home to his family, escorted by his Basic Military Training instructor, SGT Terell Thames. On April 5, 2006 - exactly one year to the day that he was inducted into the US Air Force - a final memorial service was held at RAF Mildenhall in England. Our son is buried at Zion Lutheran Church in Cologne, Minnesota.

“Subsequent to, and as a direct result of, the investigations into Noah's death, the USAF has implemented increased case management processes and care protocols for Airmen present for medical care from other bases. I have been told many times by USAF staff that the lessons learned from Noah's death have directly impacted the health and wellbeing of numerous Airmen and have saved many lives.

“We love you and miss you every day! Forever loved .... never forgotten.”

Dayle & Jan Radde

Mark & Keytelynne Radde

Phil Radde

Portrait sponsored by:
Lance Cpl. Curtis M. Swenson Memorial Fund, Rochester, MN